Insights Doing Business in Malta
Malta Enterprise aims at stimulating the business environment by managing a number of schemes for the promotion and expansion of different sectors in Malta.
The schemes, targeted at sectors approved by Malta Enterprise, are available in the following categories:
- Interest rate subsidies: loan interest rate subsidies to support new investment projects undertaken by enterprises engaged in manufacturing;
- Loan Guarantees: loan guarantees facilitate access to finance to assist enterprises in the acquisition of capital assets. These will lead to a more effective and efficient production and supply of service/s. The main objective of this incentive is to support new investment projects undertaken by enterprises engaged in manufacturing;
- Soft loan: enterprise are granted soft loans at low-interest rates for part financing of investments in qualifying expenditure
- Investment aid tax credits: Investment Aid Tax Credits are intended to sustain the regional industrial and economic development of Malta. This measure facilitates initial investments by encouraging the setting up of new establishments and the expansion and development of existing businesses. This is implemented by means of a tax credit equivalent to a percentage of the cost of acquisition of plant and machinery or of the wage cost on new employees on the set up of a business venture, or on the expansion of an existing one for businesses operating in a qualifying industry. Qualifying industries include manufacturing, IT, call centre activities, research and development, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, facilities for filming and audiovisual productions and others. Tax credits are granted in accordance with the size of the company carrying out the investment, and range between 15% and 35% of the total investment. The rates will be in the range between 10% and 30% when the start of works is on or after 01/01/2018 and before 31/12/2020;
- Micro invest: Support for micro enterprises that, for the year in which the costs were incurred, did not employ more than 30 persons (Full Time Equivalent) and with turnover not exceeding €10 million.
For a detailed list of the support measures please visit www.maltaenterprise.com/support