Companies are invited to apply for a tax credit calculated at a percentage of the cost of investments carried out in 2020.
The deadline for submission of applications for investment carried out in 2020 is 26 May 2021 at 16:00hrs.
Eligible businesses should:
- not employ more than 50 persons; and
- not have a turnover exceeding €10M in the fiscal year preceding the year in which the application is submitted.
Eligible expenditure includes:
- Wage cost increases that exceed 3% of the highest wage costs of the previous two fiscal years. The eligible value shall be calculated by deducting from wage costs incurred in the relevant fiscal year, the highest annual wage cost incurred in the preceding two fiscal years.
- Costs incurred for services rendered for the furbishing, refurbishing, and upgrading of business premises by third parties, including costs of materials and other items required for furbishing, refurbishing, and upgrading of the business premises that are endorsed as to have been utilised by the third party providing the services in the works carried out.
- New (or first time used in Malta) machinery, technology apparatus, and instruments.
- Systems intended to produce alternative energy.
- Tangible and intangible assets required for the digitisation of the business operation such as computer hardware, packaged software solutions, and development costs for new software systems, websites, and digital applications.
- Costs incurred for the purchase of any Commercial Vehicle procured as new or first time registered in Malta having a European Emission Standard rating of at least Euro 5, as long as such vehicle is:
- involved in the carrying of goods (category N1, N2 or N3 motor vehicle); or
- special purpose Motor Vehicles; or
- any vehicle that is designed specifically for the carriage of ten or more persons. An eligible undertaking that has not claimed the cost of a vehicle in 2019 and 2020, may in 2021 still claim the cost incurred for the purchase of one Commercial Vehicle which must be new, or first time registered in Malta, even if such vehicle does not comply with the Euro 5 Standard.
Are you eligible to apply for the Micro Invest Tax Credits? Contact us and we will be able to assist you!